I let out a huge sigh of relief when Scott & Lewis noted that metatheoretical perspectives and paradigms had been a "source of confusion and trouble" since their first days in grad school. Furthermore, they state "we doubt that the incommensurability between paradigms that so characterized our socialization into the discipline has been especially valuable" (p. 165). I have been fortunate enough to attend 2 graduate programs that not only offered classes in paradigmatic and metatheoretical perspectives, but provided readings that offered up a discussion of multiple approaches. I have been free to be an interpretive who understands post positivism, but I have heard horror stories from colleagues who have moved on to other institutions that do not embrace "common ground." With these ideas in mind I pose the following questions:
1.) Should graduate programs mandate a program that a) requires course work in metatheoretical perspectives and paradigms, and b) provides due diligence for multiple perspectives to not only be heard, but actually listened to?
2.) Should we put an end to the discussion of the proverbial paradigm "wars"? If so, how?
No comments:
Post a Comment